Wednesday, May 19, 2010

FINAL BLOG

     This film and media production class was very informative and much more diverse than I thought it would be. I feel that it focused a little too much on the media aspect than the film production aspect. This might be because of my bias as a film major but I still feel that I didn't increase my knowledge of film production during the span of the course. I definitely preferred the labs over the lecture, not only because the labs were more interactive and hands-on, but also because the lecture had a tendency to be redundant sometimes. Some parts of the course that I specifically enjoyed included the Photoshop exercise, the typography lecture, the film lighting video documentary, and the camera-shots exercise in the lab. I really enjoyed the Photoshop exercise because it refreshed my memory on the Photoshop tools I had forgotten. As a former graphic design major, I was very aware of software like CS3 and its components. Since it had been a while that I have worked on Photoshop, the lab exercise was very exciting and innovative. I thoroughly enjoyed the typography lecture because I had always been fascinated by the history behind certain fonts. I had read a story about the origin of Serifs a long time time ago, so the typography lecture was quite enjoyable for me. My favorite part of the lecture was the story behind the Helvetica font. The film lighting documentary, even though it spanned two lectures, was easily my favorite lecture of the entire course. Again, as a film major, I was excited about seeing the history and tales behind the lighting techniques of some of my favorite classic films. I really enjoyed the camera-shot exercise in the lab because it gave me an opportunity to creatively capture an image in my unique fashion. Even though we are restricted to low-angle, high-angle...etc, I was able to pick my choice of image and capture it in the required manner.
       The one 'take away' that I'll remember at the end of this course is the dedication that is required in order to capture images in a specific manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment